Why not learn more about Animals?

Tips That Will Enable You Choose the Best Food for Guinea Pigs

Guinea pigs are good pets and there is need for you to consider feeding them in the right manner and through the right diet. As much as you need to maintain your good health, you should as well consider maintaining good health for your guinea pigs. Therefore, be concerned about the needs of the guinea pig before you start buying food for the pet. Below are facts to mull over where you need to understand the best food for guinea pigs.

Guinea pigs have so much in common with human beings’ nutritional needs as they require vitamin C but when it comes to producing their own, they aren’t able. They are therefore unable to not only produce vitamin C but also store it hence you need to ensure they get 10-30 mg of vitamin C daily. Scurvy is what will follow where you are not able to feed your guinea pig with food rich in vitamin C.

The moment you introduce food that’s rich in vitamin C, you are prone of having a healthy and well nurtured guinea pig. Nonetheless, there are so many people who find it hard and overly tricky to determine the best guinea pigs food. First, there is need to know that high-quality hay makes over 80% of the guinea pigs diet. The remaining 20% is for greens, pellets and treats at 15%, 4% and 1% respectively. Where your piggy isn’t receiving the right amounts of vitamin C through feeding on green veggies, you should consider using pellets as a supplementary option.

Ardency is required when it comes to choosing the right pellets for your guinea pig. There are some pellets in the marketplace which are very unhealthy as they contain fattening ingredients. There is therefore need for you to avoid buying cheaply sold and flashy pellets. The high quality pellets are sold in a bag full of pellets and not mixed with other things. This means that you avoid buying pellets where the bag contains the pellets mixed with seeds, nuts or even colorful flakes. This is a fundamental way of eliminating junky food from the guinea pig’s diet.

When it comes to feeding your guinea pig, you should exercise the same keenness that you employed when buying the pellets. Buy a bag that contains the best quality pellets. These pellets should be fortified with vitamin C and crucial minerals that will help your guinea pig stay healthy. There is need for you to consider feeding your guinea pig these pellets but also remember the hay and make sure they have fresh water. Feed the guinea pig an eight of a cup of pellets daily. Where possible, get greener veggies as well.

Case Study: My Experience With Animals

Finding Ways To Keep Up With Pets